On October 10, 2020, The Highlight Pro Skydiving Team, made up of women only, performed an aerial display over the Alice Paul Institute, a nonprofit organization that educates the public about the life and work of the American suffragist. Read more about the skydiving jump.
The Highlight Skydiving Team was formed when several team members researched and read about the women's suffrage movement. The Highlight Sky Diving Team wanted to honor the amazing women that made voting a reality for women. They have been doing demonstration jumps all across our country, honoring the amazing women that persevered and helped to pass the 19th Amendment.
The Highlight Pro Skydiving Team members who jumped on Saturday were Melissa Lowe, Melanie Curtis, Sara Curtis, Amy Chmelecki, Kaz Sheekey, Keri Bell, and Karen Lewis Dalton.
Lessons for girls from women suffragists over 100 years (and strong women jumping out of airplanes):
1. There are brave women that have come before you, and they believe in your voice and your ability to be brave and live a bold life of your own design.
2. You can do hard and scary things.
3. Not everyone will believe in your vision, your goal, or your ability. You are the only one that can decide to push through.
4. Fear doesn't go away until after you take that first jump. The Highlight Sky Diving team members still get nervous when they do a jump. They have gotten comfortable doing things that make them feel uncomfortable, and you can too!
5. Surround yourself with people that make you feel comfortable to be the real you!
6. Look for ways to support other women, girls, and people that are having a hard time having their voices heard. Lend a hand, share words of encouragement, be a part of a team or group. There is power when we come together and support each other.
7. Look for opportunities to stretch yourself outside of your comfort zone so that you can continue to grow.
8. Vote, or if you are too young to vote, be aware of the different issues that impact you and other people. You don't have to be old enough to vote to share your voice and your opinion.
I am honored to partner with the Highlight Pro Sky Diving Team and appreciated them mentioning The Brave Girl Project in their video after the jump.